Bedford Swifts 19 - 5 Biggleswade 1st XV

Biggleswade Men’s 1st XV travelled away to Bedford Swifts on Saturday.

Right from the first whistle the Biggleswade team were put under pressure when the Biggy kick-off went straight into touch. Swifts made the unusual decision to take the line out rather than the scrum, which proved to be the right for them as they won the throw, producing fast ball for the their back line to break through the Biggy defence and score the first try of the afternoon (converted). This was a real eye-opener for Biggy, who had to regroup quickly and get their heads in the game.

A better kick-off by Biggy put the Swifts back into their half forcing them to run the ball back towards the waiting Biggy line.  A strong tackle from Jack Diemer proved the visitors were starting to switch on.

The majority of the first half was played in the centre of the pitch with both forward packs hitting ruck after ruck but not moving far up the field.  A knock-on from Biggleswade led to a scrum won by the Swifts pack. This gave them the platform for a strong run by the Swifts winger, but he was stopped in his tracks by an excellent tackle from Will Roake just before the Biggy try line. Despite this, Swifts’ chasing support players were able to drive over the line for their second try, bringing the score to 14 - 0 just before half time.

A slight reshuffle saw Del Tribbeck take the field at Number 8, Jake Devereux moving into the second row for the injured Tom 'Silly' Hill, who took a nasty knock to his shoulder.

The half time break allowed for a couple of small changes, with Arran Pickering coming on in the front row in place of Dave Tysom. This gave the Biggy pack a set of fresh legs and a new level of determination to get at the game.  Some superb pod work and patience saw the Biggy forwards move closer and closer to the Swifts try line.  After drawing in the Bedford side’s defence, Pickering drove through the remaining Swift defenders to score almost under the posts.

Swifts came back with new determination, and Biggy had to hold back wave after wave of attack, until they were eventually breached as Swifts scored their third try of the game. 

With 20 minutes to go, Ethan Sinclair came onto the wing, making an impact straight away with his pace, but not managing to break through the Swifts defence.

The atmosphere on the field seemed to deteriorate as the Swifts team started to push Biggy’s buttons and distract them from their way of rugby.  Some heated discussions between a few players led to the referee having a chat with both captains asking them to calm things down.  

Luke Hulson-Brown came on for Tom Anderson on the wing and Graham Williams came on on Jake Devereux, who had taken a knock.

The Biggy defence worked hard in the last ten minutes to hold back more sustained pressure from the Swifts, who were on the attack and searching for a bonus point. Biggleswade stood strong and Swifts were unable to break through.

Final score Bedford Swifts 19 - 5 Biggleswade 1st XV

news articles

  • Great rugby action coming your way

    Fri 21 Feb 2020 22:33

    Get set for a busy weekend for the club - on Saturday we've got the Six Nations showing on the big screen in the bar (click here for details) and grass roots rugby on the pitches!🏉  … view

  • Storm can't dampen 2nds' team spirit

    Thu 20 Feb 2020 13:07

    Hendon 2s 39 - 0 Biggleswade 2nd XVDespite Storm Dennis battering the UK over the weekend, Biggleswade 2nd XV’s travelled south for their first league game in February.  With weather … view